Re: Making pt a non-physical unit

From: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 17:36:21 -0500
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Cc: Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com>, www-style List <www-style@w3.org>
On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 2:08 PM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, but that doesn't matter, because those sites have fixed widths that were designed to look good on a 20" monitor (or at least an 800px-wide one), so they are going to look bad on a dumb-phone anyway, or look fine on mobile Webkit.

Poorly-written sites will never work quite as well as well-written
sites, unless we develop specs that can read minds.  Nevertheless, we
can try to make poorly-written sites work as well as we can, by making
features as intuitive and hard to misuse as possible.

> If they have a background in print design, then they would more likely know, which is probably what made them choose points as a type measure.

I'm quite certain that most people use pt because that's the unit that
every major word processor uses, not because they have a background in
print design.