Re: Text selector [was Re: breaking overflow]

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 19:20:49 -0800
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: robert@ocallahan.org

On Jan 6, 2010, at 12:00 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

> It seems like this is fundamentally a question of goals. Should CSS strive to enable any desired presentation of a document, regardless of its structure?

I don't think there is a need to rethink the strategy behind the other 99.9% of CSS. I am only proposing one tremendously powerful addition that fits within the general idea of pseudo-elements, and also fits within the existing general goal of being able to add presentational style to documents without having to alter the markup.