Re: Text selector [was Re: breaking overflow]

On Jan 6, 2010, at 4:01 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

>> I don't think it is any more confusing than most other CSS specs, where a clear understanding of the spec helps one understand what happens with edge cases.
>
> Very few people have a clear understanding of the spec, and the
> details of how implied elements nest and break each other is
> non-trivial to understand.

Right. I didn't mean the entire CSS spec as a whole. I meant, pick almost any module, and there will be some things that are less intuitive, that give rise to blog entries, tutorials, etc.

I think that what I am imagining is pretty intuitive (inside my head anyway). If it could be explained well and precisely, and the finer details worked out, I think it would be mostly intuitive, and there would just be some uncommon edge cases that might require explaining. Such as the white-space stuff that Robert O' brought up. I want the edge cases to be as intuitive as possible, but even more I want the more general cases to be intuitive and easy to use. I don't think we are that far off from these goals.