[css3-ui] box-sizing: margin-box

From: James Hopkins <james@idreamincode.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 15:42:42 +0000
To: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
I feel there's a very strong use case for including a margin-box
value, namely for use with specified horizontal widths; e.g
'width:<percentage>;margin:<length>;'

I've done some digging around in the mail archive, and have come
across what appears to be the last real thread on the subject [1] from
David Baron. In his post, he links to a previous mail from Tantek
Çelik [2] in which Tantek describes possible issues of collapsing
heights due to vertical collapsing margins. However, I'm not
particularly sure why this would be an issue? As Hixie states in a
reply [3] the calculation would surely just be,
computed value for height = specified value for height - (margin-top +
border-width-top + padding-top + border-width-bottom + padding-bottom
+ margin-bottom)
Is the collapsing margins discussion what's stopping the margin-box
value being adopted?
[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/1999Oct/0083.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/1999Oct/0036.html
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/1999Nov/0037.html