Re: [css3-lists] Allow alphabetic numbering to be treated as symbolic

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 5:41 PM, Belov, Charles <Charles.Belov@sfmta.com> wrote:
> I note that choosing number style
> A, B, C... in Microsoft Word produces AA, BB, CC for the 27th through 29th
> items, so this would be a potential issue for any document converted to HTML
> from Word. While I am not suggesting CSS should conform to Word, neither
> should CSS be hostile to its conventions.

Oh wow, I had no idea Word did that for alphabetic numbered lists.  I
had assumed it used the same progression as Excel column labels (the
Z,AA,AB,AC… series).

Since Word is indeed using the Z,AA,BB… series, I think it's important
to support that in CSS.  There's not really a good reason to limit it
to just the capital English letters, of course, as long as there's a
good way to extend this to everything (at the very least, extending it
to the lowercase english alphabet should be possible).  Your suggested
*-symbolic naming scheme seems like a reasonable way to handle this.