Re: [CSS21] 4.3.2 Lengths (reference pixel?)

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 10:05:48 +0100
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Brad Kemper:

> When thinking about resolution, I always think in terms of dpi.

Might as well be “ppi” or “lpi”.

> It is what printers and other output devices were measured in

It’s a “unit” they’re described in, I doubt they’re measured with it.

> I imagine that in other parts of the world (I'm in the US), dpcm might have been more common.

No, that’s a CSS novelty as far as I know. Especially for marketing purposes the magical “DPI” is used over here, too. But depending on device class it is (or was) common to list the dot pitch, pixel size or similar in micrometers or millimeters.