Re: [CSS21] 4.3.2 Lengths (reference pixel?)

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 09:58:48 +0100
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Tab Atkins Jr.:

> The spec already allows authors to set the resolution in 'in' or 'cm' using the 'dpi' and 'dpcm' units.

That’s not what I meant.

> I'm not sure how you could base the resolution on dots, considering that you're defining the size of the dots.

  image-resolution: 1dot;

would mean that each image pixel is one device pixel (“dot”), where a device pixel is the smallest addressable element that can have any of the colors supported by the device.

> It does seem sort of silly to define resolution units that are just inverted length units.

That’s exactly my point. Whether it makes sense to call the property ‘image-resolution’ then, I’m not sure.