RE: [css3-text] fullwidth punctuation kerning

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 02:12:27 -0500
To: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
CC: www-style <www-style@w3.org>, www-font <www-font@w3.org>, Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com>
This is a bit old thread, but I'm revisiting this to make sure the issue is resovled.

>> I'm sorry for my ignorance but could you please explain what the "well
>> designed (OpenType-wise)" font is?
>
>In this case, fonts with proper kerning data.

To respond to John's concern, I would propose to add the following sentence to the spec:

  Fullwidth opening and closing punctuation must not be trimmed if the
  glyph is not actually fullwidth. A fullwidth glyph is one that has the
  same advance width as a typical Han character in the same font.
+ This includes the case where the glyph is not fullwidth
+ as a result of the kerning in the font.

I hope this clarifies the concern.

Regards,
Koji

> I'm sorry for my ignorance but could you please explain what the "well
> designed (OpenType-wise)" font is?

In this case, fonts with proper kerning data.

> Or does such font include variable spacing depending on the
> combinations of two characters?

Right, this is precisely what kerning is.

Cheers,

John Daggett