Re: Defining safe areas for media devices and set top boxes

From: Joćo Eiras <joao-c-eiras@telecom.pt>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 10:28:46 +0000
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

> AFAIK, you can use all of a digital display.  Are we expecting web browsers to be written on devices that have this as an issue?  Are there digital displays which (deliberately, I guess) do not display all the margin outside the safe area (maybe on the grounds that it's boring)?

As I mentioned in the first e-mail on this thread "My team is working with set top boxes and other media devices which connect to TVs". So, yes :) The new web connected tvs, and media devices connected with HDMI cables have high accuracy (little to no content cropped), but when using the RCA cable, and/or an older CRT TV, the problem is quite visible.