Re: background-transform (Was: Re: [css3-images] Repeating oblique gradients)

On Dec 5, 2010, at 5:52 PM, Sylvain Galineau wrote:

> [...]

I don't believe there has been a concrete proposal. I presume you are thinking of something like a functional notation for images, like:

  alpha(url(foo.png), 50%); // make the image 50% transparent

or

  transformed-image(url(foo.png), rotate(45deg)); // rotate the image

I think there's a significant different between this something like background-transform: I see background-transform as affecting the background image tiling grid. I would assume that the bounds of an image described as

  transformed-image(url(foo.png), rotate(45deg));

would be the bounding box of the rotated image, but this would not affect the orientation of the tiling grid, so you'd end up with a diamond grid here.

> Duplicating properties of interest for images across background,
> border images and every other feature that accepts an image URL
> seems to be the kind of redundancy a module named 'Image Values'
> would be written to address.

I agree, but I don't see too much harm in new properties which share values with existing ones; that's better than a new property with a whole new set of values to learn.

Simon