[css3-text] Japanese justification and puncutuation-trim:allow-end

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 23:11:06 -0500
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Although it's not normative, current specification for text-justify[1] contains an example algorithm from JIS X-4051. During an informal conversation in Japan, we noticed that the justification algorithm mentioned in JIS X-4051 is a little different from the one in JLREQ[2].

By comparing the two, I think we should change the example to refer JLREQ rather than JIS X-4051, one because English translation exists, and another because it looks slightly superior to me.

If a browser follows JLREQ rules, it'd make puncutuation-trim:allow-end almost unnecessary because its behavior is included in the rule b of 3.8.3 Procedures for Inter-Character Space Reduction[3]. But since it's a non-normative reference, we should leave the property and the value as is with a note added and see if we can get any other feedbacks.

Any feedbacks on this would be appreciated.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text/#text-justify
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/jlreq/
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/jlreq/#en-subheading2_8_3

Regards,