Re: [css3-text] text-emphasis marks in Tibetan

From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 20:20:11 -0800
To: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
CC: 'fantasai' <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, www-style@w3.org
Richard Ishida wrote:

> For more on this (and perhaps a relevant question ;) see
> http://rishida.net/blog/?p=101

Thanks. I shall investigate.

> Note that in my example one of the emphasis marks is placed such that it
> straddles two characters (the one to the far right) in order to appear
> in the centre of a syllable. This is presumably would be much harder to
> do using Unicode characters embedded in the string itself...

We had the same issue with the masora circle mark in Hebrew. The work
around in that case was that a user could choose to have the mark
positioned between two letters, instead of the default positioning over
the preceding letter, by inserting a ZWNJ control character before the
mark.* I'm doubtful that would work in a more complex script in which
ZWNJ might have a defined shaping role.

*See page 15 of the SBL Hebrew user manual:
http://www.sbl-site.org/Fonts/SBLHebrewUserManual1.5x.pdf

JH