Re: [css3-page] "odd/even" for "page-break-before|after"?

On 08/27/2010 10:04 PM, Ishii Koji wrote:

> Yes. Usually, chapters start on right pages in left-binding books, right? In
> the right-binding books, chapters start on left pages. That is why MS Word
> has an option to page break to even/odd for sections.
> I agree with you on that stylesheets will be modified and optimized per books
> or per publishers. But "page break on new chapter" is a very common pattern
> that I think it's worth to try to abstract. I wish it be a logical intention
> rather than physical specification.

Ok, so based on your arguments I can see a use case for even/odd values for
page-break, though not really for selectors in the @page rule.

However, I don't think even/odd is a good name for the values, because authors
can manipulate the page numbering. We could call it front/back or verso/recto
(I forget which is which), which would not imply any interaction with page
numbering.

> Actually, as I write this, I noticed that the spec could be difficult to
> implement. There's no property to specify bindings in current CSS as far
> as I know, right? Then, how could browsers know which page is left and
> right? Browsers know the page number, so they can distinguish even and
> odd pages. But without binding information, you can't map pages to left
> and right, can you?

See http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-page/#progression

~fantasai