Re: [css-style-attr] SVG WG comments on CSS Styling Attributes Level 1

Hi, Tab-

I think your arguments (along with the note by Alex) are the best
defense I've heard for adding e-notation to CSS. I absolutely buy your
argument.

I've been coding SVG, mostly in webapps, for about a decade.  I have
never once, not even in test code, used e-notation; I seriously doubt I
ever will (unless I get that action in the SVG WG).

I don't think it's a really serious issue; there are other ways of
denoting large numbers.  I imagine that there are uses for it,
especially in mapping (which is really picking up these days [1]), but
it's a convenience, not a necessity, in my opinion.  My preference is to
allow e-notation, but it's not a strong preference; to me, the pros come
down to this:
* Some people have said they find it useful
* For good or ill, it's already allowed in CSS in SVG, so there's
backwards-compatibility to consider
* I really want to see convergence of SVG and CSS (and HTML)
* I don't see the harm in adding it.

For me, at this point, the larger principle is this: the SVG and CSS WGs
need to work together, and not get caught up in matters that don't help
the community.

How many hours of valuable time has this issue consumed, during the
face-to-face, and via email?  How much tension?  Is either position
really worth the effort and stress this has cost over the years?  And
how much time will it eat up in the future, when we could be talking
about important or useful or cool things (I can think of a dozen off the
top of my head, can't you)?

I think adding e-notation is the right thing to do.  But, for the sake
of moving on, I am going to propose that we take a serious look at
dropping it, not only from CSS, but from SVG 2.  For SVG, obviously,
this would mean deprecating it rather than simply not including it.

I'll be honest, I think I'm taking the wrong technical side of this
issue, but it's a change I could live with, and that's pretty much the
consequence of consensus.  My heart isn't in this conclusion, but it is
important to me that we move ahead.

What does everyone else think?

[1] http://schepers.cc/map-not-proprietary

Regards-