Re: [css3-page] "odd/even" for "page-break-before|after"?

On Aug 27, 2010, at 7:17 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

>> Is there a common pattern for which side page 1 starts on?
>
> Sort of.
>
> In my experience, books in English and Russian have page 1 on the right; I can't think of any exceptions offhand.  That means that odd-numbered pages need a larger left-margin and even-numbered pages need a larger right-margin.
>
> Books in Hebrew, iirc, mostly have page 1 on the left.  That means a larger right-margin for odd-numbered pages and a larger left-margin for even-numbered ones.
>
> Or in other words, odd-numbered pages need a bigger margin-start, while even-numbered pages need a bigger margin-end, in both cases.
>
> I can't speak to conventions in other languages.

Are Hebrew books bound on the right?

If you consider something that is not bound, but rather just a stack of paper, it seems unlikely that any language or convention would put the first readable page on the back of the first piece of paper. It is always going to be on top, facing the reader, no? Or at least so, once the title page, publisher's page, blank leaves, etc. are removed. I wouldn't think binding on any side would change that. Thus odd/even would be much more consistent than right/left.