Re: [css3-multicol] test suite

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 10:14:52 +0200
To: "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>
Håkon Wium Lie:

> For borders, which typically are present on all four sides of a box, 'inset' and 'outset' still makes some sense (…). Column rules, however, only appear between columns …

I wonder whether it would make sense (in level 4) to introduce either pseudo-classes to target columns or new properties, ‘column-border’ etc., where ‘column-rule’ becomes a shorthand:

  :column       {border-left:  <column-rule>; border-right: <column-rule>;}
  :first-column {border-left:  none;}
  :last-column  {border-right: none;}

or

  X {column-border: 0 <column-rule>; border-collapse: collapse;}
    /* and no first, last borders */

I firmly believe some people will not be satisfied with the options to style columns that are offered by the current draft.

If you open that first can of worms you would probably also want to define relations like these:

  :column       {padding-left:  calc(<column-gap>/2);
                 padding-right: calc(<column-gap>/2);}
  :first-column {padding-left:  0;}
  :last-column  {padding-right: 0;}

  :column       {width: <column-width>;}