Re: [css3-multicol] test suite

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 09:17:25 +0200
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Also sprach Brad Kemper:

 > > Further, I'm not sure all the column-rule-style values make sense.
 > > It's nice for the values to be same as border-style, but I'm uncertain
 > > if 'none', 'hidden', 'inset' and 'outset' should be there.
 >
 > I think 'inset' and 'outset' are not used that much for borders
 > anymore either, are they? I imagine that until the mid-90s calls
 > and asks for its embossing-against-gray-backgrounds trend back,
 > these styles are as useful for column rules as they are for
 > borders.

For borders, which typically are present on all four sides of a box,
'inset' and 'outset' still makes some sense (although their use most
probably is limited). Column rules, however, only appear between
columns and having 'inset' rule between several adjacent columns makes
less sense, optically.

There's little damage in having the values there, and the
implementation cost is also low. So I'm not sure it's worth taking
them out at this stage. Hmm.

-h&kon