RE: [css3-multicol] column balancing and fixed height (RE: Question on Flexbox balance implementation)

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 10:09:45 +0200
To: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
Cc: "robert@ocallahan.org" <robert@ocallahan.org>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, Chris Jones <cjon@microsoft.com>
Also sprach Alex Mogilevsky:

 > Great, it seems we are in agreement on column balancing with specified height.

Yes. I've also included a test on this, #23 in the (draft) test suite:

  http://people.opera.com/howcome/2010/tests/multicol.html

 > A related issue is the behavior of column-span in overflow, with specified height.

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Aug/att-0283/image001.png

So you're suggesting that elements with 'column-span: all' that
naturally appear outside the multicol element does not span columns?

It's not unreasonable.

It could be argued that elements with 'column-span: all' mark a
logical boundary and that they therefore should span, even when in
overflow areas. Certainly, in paged media, we want these elements to
span even when on the second page.

What do other implementors think?

-h&kon