RE: [css3-mediaqueries][cssom] Empty media queries in stylesheets and the DOM

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 01:24:02 +0000
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
>> In this same case, Opera returns an empty string for the mediaText
>> property, and, consistent with its handling of @media {...}, still
>> applies the styles defined in the rule.
>>
>> Safari and Chrome return the empty string but do not refresh the
>> styles originally applied by the @media all {...} rule (although I
>> haven't verified whether that is true for all properties).

>What do you mean by "do not refresh"?  How is this different from what Opera does?

I originally meant that I expected an empty MediaList.mediaText to result in the @media
rule being ignored by these browsers, consistent with their treatment of @media {..} as
invalid. That they do not in this case may still, however, be by design.  But I am unable
to make Safari/Chrome update the page through the MediaList interface. For instasnce, if
I change the mediaText property from its initial "all" to "not all" or "print", nothing happens.
 Opera and Firefox update the page's style as expected.