Re: [css3-transitions] transitioning to/from auto value

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 23:29:22 -0700
Cc: Perry Smith <pedzsan@gmail.com>, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>

On Apr 27, 2010, at 10:58 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> On 4/27/10 8:48 PM, Perry Smith wrote:
>> e.g. the final value will be computed based upon the state of the page at the instant the transition starts
>
> That instant isn't actually particularly well-defined; it depends on when the style for the element actually changes.  In at least some UAs this happens asynchronously from whatever operation triggered the style change.

I don't understand. The transition has to start sometime. So the first thing it does is get the offsetHeight to transition from. Or determine what it is in the hover state or whatever that it is transitioning to. Then continue the transition based on that number instead of "auto" height.

It may not be perfect, but it would be better than me trying to set a fixed height on everything I wanted to transition this way (and I could still do that anyway, if I liked it better).