Re: Transitions and Animation merging: problem summary

From: "Chris Marrin" <cmarrin@apple.com>
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2010 5:28 PM
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
<www-style@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Transitions and Animation merging: problem summary

> On Apr 16, 2010, at 10:57 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:
>>> Sorry, this is a detail of an issue that I thought was well known.
>>> Currently, when a transition is triggered while running (by setting a
>>> new value in the property being transitioned) an entirely new transition
>>> is started. So if you are 0.1 seconds into a 2 second transition and you
>>> set the property back to its starting value (as you would when you
>>> unhover) going back to that starting value will take 2 seconds, not 0.1
>>> as might be desirable. So it would be useful to add reversible
>>> transitions to the spec and define the rules for when they occur. But as
>>> I said, that's a conversation for another thread.
>>>
>>> Does that make it more clear?
>>
>> Such details *are* already in the spec.  ^_^
>

> Urgh, I didn't realize that had already been added. In that case, I
> retract my comment that this needs discussion. But I still believe
> reversing transitions in this way is important whereas for animations it
> is not. That was a much more noisy explanation than it needed to be :-)

Let's imagine that 'animate' is defined as:

animate[-in/out]: <property> || <ease-function> ||  <step-duration> ||
<start-delay>[ || <number-of-steps>]

Rule of animation reversal is pretty simple: all not finished steps are
reversed.
The desire is to see elements eventually in the same state as they were
before
this [canceled] animation but without "jumps".
Another option would be to complete unfinished states if  number-of-steps is
defined and is greater than one.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk

http://terrainformatica.com