Re: CSS3 Border image

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 08:36:40 -0700
Cc: www-style CSS <www-style@w3.org>
To: Estelle Weyl <estelle@weyl.org>

On Apr 7, 2010, at 5:53 PM, Estelle Weyl wrote:

> With default border-image property values, is the browser supposed to resize the image to fit, like in Opera, or maintain original size as done in Webkit?

The initial value of border-image-width is 1, which means that the width of each slice in the browser is equal to the width of each slice as measured in image pixels (for raster images). Thus, for each slice it ends up being actual width by default. For length of each slice, the initial value of border-image-repeat is 'stretch', so that each side will stretch to adjust to box size.

I don't know what difference you are seeing between Webkit and Opera, or which of these properties you are setting. Or if you are possibly looking at a prefixed version that might be using the old version of border-image.

http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/CR-css3-background-20091217/#the-border-image-width
http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/CR-css3-background-20091217/#the-border-image-slice
http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/CR-css3-background-20091217/#the-border-image-repeat