Re: Frameset/Frame Specification Amendment (HTML+CSS)

From: Axel Dahmen <brille1@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 04:57:18 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
Yesterday I've been reading through the CSS3 specs to propose suggestions
for a CSS successor of HTML frames.

I'm still fluctuating between Template Layout
(http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/current-work#layout) and Flexible Box Layout
(http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/current-work#flexbox).

The most important point I see is the ability to provide interactive sizing
to the user without the need to require a designer to add a JavaScript
channel to his work.

I'm still working on it, so it will take a couple of days for me to finish a
proposal.

One new property I'm flirting with would be something like this:

Name:   	width-behavior  /  height-behavior
Value:   	static | interactive
Initial:   	static
Applies to:   	box elements
Inherited:   	yes
Percentages:   	no
Media:   	visual
Computed value:   	specified value

Setting this new property to "interactive" would allow a block to be
resizable.

After reading through the Template Layout module I believe the Template
Layout module is quite cumbersome, introducing too many new grammars,
properties and complexity. I believe I could propose a more concise and
still versatile approach.

I'd very much propose that alternative approach. Is this something that is
desired? What would I need to do to present my alternative suggestion?

Cheers,
Axel Dahmen