Re: transitions vs. animations

On Apr 6, 2010, at 8:59 AM, Simon Fraser wrote:

> On Apr 5, 2010, at 11:07 PM, Brad Kemper wrote:
>
>> transition: left 1s play(bounce 1s infinite);
>
> There's a problem linking animations with transitions that hasn't been mentioned yet. What do you expect to happen in this case:
>
> .button {
>  left: 100px;
>  transition: left 1s play(bounce 1s);
> }
>
> .button:hover {
>  left: 100px;
> }
>
> Here, left isn't changing on :hover, so the transition wouldn't run, and thus nor would the bounce animation. Is that what you want?

Yes, that is reasonable. Since you are only looking at the computed value to determine if there is a transition, then I couldn't get it to bounce by using 'left:100.0001px', right? (an admittedly hacky solution, at best)

> Controllable animations are still desired for this use case.

Hmm. It means we still can't get a bounce on just hovering and unhovering though, right? On the other hand, I could still pick a property where a very small change would be unnoticeable (especially on a bouncing object). For instance:

.button {
 opacity:1;
 transition: opacity 1s play(bounce 1s);
}