Re: [css3-animations] Splitting up concepts of "animations"

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 09:15:48 -0700
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
[moving Simon's email directly to this thread, for better organization]

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 9:04 AM, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:
> Doesn't this have al the same issues as Hakon's on-enter, on-exit that have
> been pointed out already?

As far as I can tell, no (this probably wasn't clear in the original
email you responded to, but I've hopefully stated things better here).

The notion of "entry" I use is identical to the notion used in the
current draft - a play-in animation runs when it first gets added to
an element that doesn't already have that animation as a play-in.  If
there are any problems with this, then they apply equally to the
current Animations draft.  play-out animations are defined similarly -
"exit" occurs when an element *loses* an animation.

This isn't based on selectors or anything.  The notion of a selector
defining state still exists, but only conceptually, as is appropriate.
 Actual 'state' is tracked through the presence or absence of
animations only.