Re: [css3-background] box-break keywords

Brad Kemper wrote:
> On Oct 28, 2009, at 11:20 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Currently we have as keywords 'continuous' and 'each-box'. They're not
>> very clear, and one person so far has pointed out that continuous is
>> hard to spell.
>>
>> How about 'slice' and 'separate'?
>>
>>  box-break: slice;    /* Draw backgrounds and borders as if box was
>> not broken, then slice it into pieces */
>>  box-break: separate; /* Draw backgrounds and borders separately for
>> each box: separate, then draw */
>
> I agree that those are better. I especially like 'slice' to describe
> that one. I'm less enthusiastic about 'separate' (the page break has a
> separating effect regardless of how the box is divided), though I still
> think it is better than 'each-box'. How about 'new-box' or 'multi-boxes'
> instead of 'separate'?

I prefer 'separate'. It has a closer parallel to 'slice': both can be
used as verbs to describe what is happening. And 'separate' can also be
used as an adjective to describe the result so you get two angles for
its mnemonic.

A good analogy would be baking bread: You can "slice" it after baking,
or you can "separate" it into pieces and then bake the pieces as "separate"
loafs. (The crust is the border. :P)

~fantasai