Anton Prowse wrote:

>>> 6.6.5. :first-child pseudo-class
>>> (http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-css3-selectors-20090310/#first-child-pseudo)
>>> :
>>>
>>>   # Examples:
>>>   #
>>>   # [...]
>>>   #
>>>   # This selector can represent the p inside the div of the following
>>>   # fragment:
>>>   #
>>>   # [...]
>>>   #
>>>   # but cannot represent the second p in the following fragment:
>>>   #
>>>   # [...]
>>>
>>> Issue 17:  s/fragment/HTML fragment/ (twice)
>>
>> Actually, it does not matter whether it is HTML or not. So I will not
>> make this change.
>
> I'm skeptical ;-)  The example assumes an SGML/XML notation, eg "<p>"
 >
 >>> 6.6.5 :empty pseudo-class
 >>> (http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-css3-selectors-20090310/#empty-pseudo) :
 > Ditto.
 >
 >>> 8.1. Descendant combinator
 >>> (http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-css3-selectors-20090310/#descendant-combinators)
 > As above.
 >

 >>> 8.3.2. General sibling combinator
 >>> (http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-css3-selectors-20090310/#general-sibling-combinators)
 > As above.

Added a statement to the Terminology section specifying that examples
are given in XML/HTML syntax:
    http://dev.w3.org/csswg/selectors3/#terminology

>>> 7.1. The ::first-line pseudo-element
>>> (http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-css3-selectors-20090310/#first-line) :
>>>
>>>   # The selector p::first-line does not match any real HTML element. It
>>>   # does match a pseudo-element that conforming user agents will insert
>>>   # at the beginning of every paragraph.
>>>
>>> Issue 21b:  s/The selector p::first-line/In an HTML document, for
>>> example, the selector p::first-line/
>>
>> Since the sentence technically isn't inaccurate, I'm going to leave
>> this one.
>
> Not sure I like this!  Actually, in retrospect the problem lies with the
> example above the quoted sentence:
>
>   # The above rule means "change the letters of the first line of every
> paragraph to uppercase".
>
> s/The above rule/In HTML, the above rule/
>
> or
>
> s/paragraph/p element/
>
> To me, leaving the quoted sentence unchanged seems more reasonable in
> the light of the first variant of this new proposed change, but I would
> still find it incongruous with the second.

Changed s/paragraph/p element/ and shifted the paragraph into the example.

Please let me know if this addresses your comments.

~fantasai