Re: [css3-selectors] LC issues #9+

fantasai wrote:
> Anton Prowse wrote:
>> Here are the things that I noticed when reading through the document.
>> (Trivial editorial issues are listed separately at the end.)
>> 6.6.5 :nth-child() pseudo-class
>> (http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-css3-selectors-20090310/#nth-child-pseudo)
>> :
>>
>>   # The :nth-child(an+b) pseudo-class notation represents an element
>>   # that has an+b-1 siblings before it in the document tree, for a given
>>   # positive integer or zero value of n, and has a parent element.
>>
>> Issue 14:  s/an+b-1/(s x n) + b - 1/
>
> I don't understand this suggestion. Did you want a multiplication sign
> between a and n?

Oops, I meant:
s/an+b-1/(a x n) + b - 1/
but I think you guessed that anyway.

Yes, at the time I would have preferred a multiplication sign when such
an expression were used in the prose, or else have that expression
typeset in a different font to indicate its mathematical nature.
(Otherwise, "an" looks like an English word rather than mathematical
notation.)  However, it seems that the typesetting has already been
changed in the latest draft (or else I no longer remember what I was
concerned about!) and so I withdraw my concern.

>> 6.6.5 :last-of-type pseudo-class
>> (http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-css3-selectors-20090310/#last-of-type-pseudo)
>>
>> :
>>
>>   # Example:
>>   #
>>   # The following selector represents the last data cell td of a table
>>   # row.
>>
>> Issue 16:  s/a table row/a table row td/ or s/a table row/an HTML
>> table row/
>
> Fixed. (You meant tr, I presume, not td.)

Indeed!

>> 6.6.5. :first-child pseudo-class
>> (http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-css3-selectors-20090310/#first-child-pseudo)
>> :
>>
>>   # Examples:
>>   #
>>   # [...]
>>   #
>>   # This selector can represent the p inside the div of the following
>>   # fragment:
>>   #
>>   # [...]
>>   #
>>   # but cannot represent the second p in the following fragment:
>>   #
>>   # [...]
>>
>> Issue 17:  s/fragment/HTML fragment/ (twice)
>
> Actually, it does not matter whether it is HTML or not. So I will not
> make this change.

I'm skeptical ;-)  The example assumes an SGML/XML notation, eg "<p>"

>> 6.6.5 :empty pseudo-class
>> (http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-css3-selectors-20090310/#empty-pseudo) :
>>
>>   # Examples:
>>   #
>>   # p:empty is a valid representation of the following fragment:
>>   #
>>   # <p></p>
>>   #
>>   # foo:empty is not a valid representation for the following fragments:
>>   #
>>   # [...]
>>
>> Issue 18:  s/fragment/HTML fragment/ (twice)
>
> Or, for the same reason, this one.

Ditto.

>> 7.1. The ::first-line pseudo-element
>> (http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-css3-selectors-20090310/#first-line) :
>>
>>   # The selector p::first-line does not match any real HTML element. It
>>   # does match a pseudo-element that conforming user agents will insert
>>   # at the beginning of every paragraph.
>>
>> Issue 21b:  s/The selector p::first-line/In an HTML document, for
>> example, the selector p::first-line/
>
> Since the sentence technically isn't inaccurate, I'm going to leave this
> one.

Not sure I like this!  Actually, in retrospect the problem lies with the
example above the quoted sentence:

   # The above rule means "change the letters of the first line of every
paragraph to uppercase".

s/The above rule/In HTML, the above rule/

or

s/paragraph/p element/

To me, leaving the quoted sentence unchanged seems more reasonable in
the light of the first variant of this new proposed change, but I would
still find it incongruous with the second.

>> 8.1. Descendant combinator
>> (http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-css3-selectors-20090310/#descendant-combinators)
>>
>> :
>>
>>   # Examples:
>>   #
>>   # For example, consider the following selector:
>>   #
>>   # h1 em
>>   #
>>   # It represents an em element being the descendant of an h1 element.
>>   # It is a correct and valid, but partial, description of the following
>>   # fragment:
>>   #
>>   # <h1>This <span class="myclass">headline
>>   #
>>   # The following selector:
>>   #
>>   # div * p
>>   #
>>   # represents a p element that is a grandchild or later descendant of
>>   # a div element. Note the whitespace on either side of the "*" is not
>>   # part of the universal selector; the whitespace is a combinator
>>   # indicating that the DIV must be the ancestor of some element, and
>>   # that that element must be an ancestor of the P.
>>
>> Issue 23a:  s/fragment/HTML fragment/
>
> Not necessary, so leaving as-is.

As above.

>> 8.3.2. General sibling combinator
>> (http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-css3-selectors-20090310/#general-sibling-combinators)
>>
>> :
>>
>>   # Example:
>>   #
>>   # h1 ~ pre
>>   #
>>   # represents a pre element following an h1. It is a correct and
>>   # valid, but partial, description of:
>>   #
>>   # <h1>Definition of the function a</h1>
>>   # <p>Function a(x) has to be applied to all figures in the table.</p>
>>   # <pre>function a(x) = 12x/13.5</pre>
>>
>> Issue 24:  s/description of/description of the following HTML fragment/
>
> Not necessary, so leaving as-is.

As above.

Cheers,
Anton Prowse