[cssom][dom-level-2-style] Status of CSSValue and other DOM-L2-Style interfaces obsoleted on www-style

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 23:55:50 +0000
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
CC: "bert@w3.org" <bert@w3.org>, Sam Fortiner <samfort@microsoft.com>, "Travis Leithead" <travil@microsoft.com>
Bert,

According to a message you sent on behalf of the WG back in 2003 [1], a number of DOM L2 Style interfaces were deemed obsolete e.g. CSSValue.

As far as I can tell:

1. This is not reflected in DOM L2 Style [2]
2. The SVGColor [3] and SVGStylable [4] interfaces depend on CSSValue
3. SVG 1.1 explicitly depends on CSSValue for those user agents that do not support CSS styling, and implicitly for those that do by requiring "all the interfaces defined in DOM2-CSS" [5]
4. The current CSS3 2D Transforms [6] and CSS3 3D Transforms [7] drafts depend explicitly on CSSValueList

At minimum, and whatever the reasons to recommend their obsolescence were, it seems these interfaces are not treated as obsolete in practice. And I do not expect a mailing list notice like this one to be normative until the actual spec is edited. But as this has been brought up a couple of times in the recent past [8][9], I wanted to raise the issue once again to encourage its resolution. Thanks !

S.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2003Oct/0347.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-Style/
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/types.html#InterfaceSVGColor