Re: Border-Images and 'round': CSS Backgrounds and Borders Module Level 3

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 1:03 PM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 1, 2009, at 12:10 AM, Mikko Rantalainen wrote:
>
>> As you say, it makes sense to allow this for "high" resolution source
>> images. I think that the spec cannot specify reasonable exact limit for
>> changing from real rounding to ceil() method without knowing the scaling
>> algorithm.
>
> I would much rather see interoperability in terms of how many tiles are
> shown.
>
> I don't personally think the UA should be deciding based on resolution if it
> should widen the image or not. It does not do that for the the 'scale'
> keyword, where I can scale a raster image 1000 times bigger if I want. It
> also does not do that for border-image-width, where I can turn a 5px tall
> image slice into a border side that is 500px thick.
>
> The upscaling for round is really fine, even on auto sized raster images, in
> my view. Here is a test I did:
>
> http://www.bradclicks.com/cssplay/border-image/round-test1.html
>
> I think if the author didn't want upscaling with 'round' they would create
> the image tiles at a size that prevented it from happening.

I really don't have a problem with the UA deciding whether to upscale
or downscale here, since it's a fairly small difference anyway.  But I
agree that the upscaling problems are pretty small, so it wouldn't be
a bad thing to use a strict algorithm that treated all images equally.