Re: Border-Images and 'round': CSS Backgrounds and Borders Module Level 3

On Oct 1, 2009, at 12:10 AM, Mikko Rantalainen wrote:

> As you say, it makes sense to allow this for "high" resolution
> source images. I think that the spec cannot specify reasonable exact
> limit for changing from real rounding to ceil() method without
> knowing the scaling algorithm.

I would much rather see interoperability in terms of how many tiles
are shown.

I don't personally think the UA should be deciding based on resolution
if it should widen the image or not. It does not do that for the the
'scale' keyword, where I can scale a raster image 1000 times bigger if
I want. It also does not do that for border-image-width, where I can
turn a 5px tall image slice into a border side that is 500px thick.

The upscaling for round is really fine, even on auto sized raster
images, in my view. Here is a test I did:

http://www.bradclicks.com/cssplay/border-image/round-test1.html

I think if the author didn't want upscaling with 'round' they would
create the image tiles at a size that prevented it from happening.