Re: [css3-background] last call for comments on "Backgrounds and borders"

fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> Zack Weinberg wrote:
> > It seems to me that the border-image shorthand would be more user
> > friendly if it allowed slashes between any two option groups.
> > Something like
> >
> >     <‘border-image-source’> || /? <‘border-image-slice’>
> >         [ / <‘border-image-width’>? [ /
> > <‘border-image-outset’>  ]? ]? || /? <‘border-image-repeat’>
> >
> > I *think* this does not make the grammar ambiguous, and it means
> > authors don't have to remember which blocks take slashes and which
> > don't.
>
> The CSS Working Group has discussed your proposal and decided not
> to make this change. You can read the minutes of the discussion
> here:
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Nov/0265.html>

I don't care strongly about this, but I wish to point out that the
discussion as minuted sounds like people thought I was proposing to
*require* slashes, which was not my intention.  Rather, I thought it
would be friendly to *permit* slashes between any two option groups.
As is, authors have to remember that you *do* put a slash between slice
and width, width and outset, but *not* between source and slice or
before repeat.  Which is fine (especially now that I realize what || in
the syntax actually means) but for people who don't want to remember
that, allowing a slash would make life simpler.

zw