Re: [CSS21] text-decoration/visibility

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 19:16:25 +0100, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

>>> - As for decoration specified on a given element being ignored if the
>>> same
>>> type (e.g. underline, line-through) is propagated from an ancestor, is
>>> that
>>> what "cannot have any effect on the decoration of the ancestor" is
>>> meant to
>>> say? If so, maybe it would be clearer if, say, "of" were to be
>>> replaced with
>>> "propagated from".
>>
>> Hmm, I assumed the reverse - that it simply wouldn't reach up and
>> change the ancestor's decoration.  But your reading makes more sense.
>
> The "wouldn't reach up" is correct.  That is, the ancestor draws the
> decorations no matter what.  The child can draw its own decorations, but
> can't make the ancestor's go away.

I somehow mistakenly got the impression that the implementations did
something else (regarding the child drawing its own). But still, I assume
this is specifically about decoration drawn across/along the child
element's boxes because of a rule on the parent element. I.e. things like
B still getting an underline here:
style="text-decoration:none">B</span>A</span>
With the current wording it might as well sound like it's about the
underline under the As, which is just confusing.

--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Core Norway, Opera Software ASA