Re: [CSS21] text-decoration/visibility

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 21:20:59 +0100, Aryeh Gregor
<Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 1:13 PM, Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com>
> wrote:
>> Right, I meant the cases without floats etc., such as an
>> otherwise-unstyled
>> where I assume (haven't found anything explicit in the spec) that the
>> first
>> span generates a single inline box that contains A but not B's box. For
>> "other elements" there's wording about an anonymous inline box, but not
>> for
>> "inline element"s (whatever that means; display:inline?).
>
> I think that in the case you give, each span has its own inline box,
> and A's box contains B's.

Of course, sorry... inline borders wouldn't work the way the do otherwise.
The wording of the first sentence in 9.4.2 and the example in 9.2.2.1
(where the <p> generates /two/ boxes rather than a single one that
includes the <em>) confused me.

I still don't see where the spec actually specifies this (or much on the
element-to-box mapping in general), though.

> The underline is drawn under all
> the parts of A's box that happen to contain text, and that includes
> the part where B is.  So there's no propagation here.  The underline
> is drawn under A's box, not B's.

Well, except when B is relatively positioned...

> If both have decorations, both decorations are drawn independently,

Yes, I must have made some mistake when messing around with the original
case, somehow got the impression that the descendant's underline got
suppressed.

--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Core Norway, Opera Software ASA