Re: Linear gradients: state of the proposal

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 09:35:00 -0800
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>

On Nov 6, 2009, at 9:01 AM, Simon Fraser wrote:

> * When the angle form is used, it's unclear if the angle of the
> rendered gradient is invariant under box aspect ratio changes <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Nov/0071.html
> >.

As far as this one goes, I know that what I was proposing there is
different than what Tab had in mind. However, I believe that by
combining the ideas of:

requiring a keyword to make the angle invariant (otherwise it is not)
and
the idea of just using angles to indicate direction and
color-stops for ALL indications of where colors begin or end),

...that we would have a much, much simpler, easier to read and
understand syntax, with less default magic, while sacrificing almost
nothing but a few edge cases. And that those edge cases could be
handled with SVG.

I would still have the distance measures (50px, for example) as
invariant (thus a little magic there), as an alternative to
percentages that would always vary with image size.