Linear gradients: state of the proposal

From: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 09:01:37 -0800
Cc: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
To keep the gradients discussion moving, here's a summary of where
things stand with linear gradients:

* Tab's proposal is at: <http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-images/
#gradients->
* I raised objections related to the complexity of the proposal, and
proposed a simpler two-point form with an optional angle: <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Nov/0050.html

* Tab said in person that he sees the value of a two-point form for
linear gradients.
* Dean and Roc question top left being the default. I'm fine with
center top.
* When the angle form is used, it's unclear if the angle of the
rendered gradient is invariant under box aspect ratio changes <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2009Nov/0071.html
 >.
* Angles in the gradient proposal (0deg is East, 90deg is North)
differ from those used in SVG and transforms (angles increase in a
clockwise direction).

I'm sure radial gradients will raise a similar amount of discussion.

Simon