Re: [selectors] [css3-content] The ::inside pseudo-element

From: Giovanni Campagna <scampa.giovanni@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 20:12:00 +0100
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, www-style@w3.org
Uhm... I probably misunderstood the spec: I always thought that
::before/::after introduced a new element at the same nesting level.
If ::before is actually what I called ::before-content, then ::inside is not
needed anymore. (You can use ::outside reversing the perspective)

But how is this supposed to work when the ::before pseudo-element is
actually outside the element itself (because the element is moved, like in
footnotes)?

Moreover, I imagined that, because ::before pseudo-el were actually before
element itself, they inherited display as initial value (so before a block
you get an other block, before an inline you get an inline, before a
table-row another table row). Generated Content Module says that initial for
::before/::after should be inline, but that breaks the example in the same
spec, section 4.2 (the example that I read too fast, without paying
attention that selector was applied to the row, not to the cell).

Sorry for wasted time,

Giovanni