Re: [selectors] [css3-content] The ::inside pseudo-element

From: Giovanni Campagna <scampa.giovanni@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 20:26:26 +0100
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, www-style@w3.org
Doing some testing, I actually discovered that ::inside is need because yes,
::before does not introduce a new table-cell, but it introduces an inline
box. Text-align (and other useful properties, like float) does not apply to
inline, so I need to make it a block. But a I get two line boxes (one with
, the other with 88.15), because I have two anonymous block boxes (one
created by ::before, the other by cell content).
I may use float, but the problem is that it will never float until the
second block box, which is by default 100% wide, leave some space for the
floated box: the only way to do this is to apply a reduced width to cell's
content, that is ::inside.
(If I applied width to td selector, I would get the whole cell reduced, not
only its contents).

Giovanni