Re: [selectors] [css3-content] The ::inside pseudo-element

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 14:36:48 -0500
To: Giovanni Campagna <scampa.giovanni@gmail.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org

Giovanni Campagna wrote:
> Uhm... I probably misunderstood the spec: I always thought that
> ::before/::after introduced a new element at the same nesting level.

You can test this with CSS2.1 implementations, for what it's worth.
Some borders on the element with ::before applied should show what's
going on.

> But how is this supposed to work when the ::before pseudo-element is
> actually outside the element itself (because the element is moved, like
> in footnotes)?

I'm not sure what you mean here.  How is this case different from, say,
absolute positioning?  ::before works just fine with absolute
positioning: the before content is placed inside the positioned box.

> Generated Content Module says that initial for ::before/::after should
be inline, but that breaks
> the example in the same spec, section 4.2

Er... why does it break that example, exactly?

-Boris