Re: [css3-values] new editor's draft (and [css3-box])

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 14:37:39 -0800
To: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

On Thursday 2009-01-08 22:44 +0100, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:

>   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-values/

>   - the term "used value" is gone; it was close enough to "actual
>     value" that the two could be combined. [css3-box] needs to be
>     updated, though, to say "actual value" instead of "used value".

I'm not sure this works.  For example, consider the statement in CSS
2.1, section 10.3.3:
  # If both 'margin-left' and 'margin-right' are 'auto', their used
  # values are equal.
If the amount of space to be divided is an odd number of pixels,
then the actual values can't be equal because they have to be
rounded differently.

There are also many places where CSS 2.1 says how the used value is
determined; if these have to be replaced by actual value, then do we
also need to say that rounding is performed at every one of these
places?

I thought the group had resolved to add the cycle() proposal to
the draft as well, but I can't find any record of it.  We discussed
it here:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-css-wg/2006OctDec/0195.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-css-wg/2007JanMar/0525.html

Proposed text is in:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-css-wg/2006JanMar/0310.html
which I've also posted for public viewing at:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2009Jan/0001.html

-David