Re: [css3-multicol] Column Breaks

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 11:15:15 -0800
To: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
CC: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, "Grant, Melinda" <melinda.grant@hp.com>
Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
> Alex Mogilevsky wrote:
>
>  > The best motivation for less properties is to avoid dealing with
>  > conflicting values of page and column break properties, especially
>  > when some are "avoid" and some are not.
>
> CSS 2.1 describes how to resolve these conflicts:
>
>   When these properties have values other than 'auto', the values
>   'always', 'left', and 'right' take precedence over 'avoid'.
>
>  > The best way to remove discomfort with less properties is probably
>  > to try to implement it. Second best is to describe in detail how
>  > all values of column-break-* and page-break-* interact and see if
>  > there are combinations that wouldn't be covered by
>  > "page-break-*:column".
>
> I think all use cases can be achieved with "page-break-*:column". The
> question, at least for me, is whether I can stomach using a "page"
> property to set column breaks.

I think Alex's point is very important. Not only does it increase
the number of properties and the complexity of their interactions,
it's also going to create a cascading mess if we create a second
set of properties for column breaking.

If the use cases can all be solved with a 'column' value for
page-break-*, then let's do that. Bonus for web authors: if they
design for columns, then their printing results will be improved,
too.

~fantasai