Re: [css3-multicol] Column Model Underdefined

Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
> Also sprach fantasai:
>
>  > >   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-multicol
>  >
>  > Looks pretty good. A few comments...
>  >
>  > I wrote:
>  >    | If the multi-column element is paginated, then the height of each row
>  >    | is constrained by the length of the page ...
>  >
>  > You got this part. But
>  >
>  >    | such that a column box never splits across pages: the column boxes are
>  >    | instead shortened to fit and the rest of the content flowed into a new
>  >    | row of column boxes on the next page.
>  >
>  > This part is missing, and it's important, especially the "a column box
>  > never splits across pages" part.
>
> I think this is covered by the statement:
>
>   If the multi-column element is paginated, then the height of each
>   row is constrained by the page, and the content continues in a new
>   row of column boxes on the next page.

Ok, I can live with that... what do you think of

  | If the multi-column element is paginated, then the height of each
  | row is constrained by the page, and the content continues in a new
  | row of column boxes on the next page: a column box never splits
  | across pages.

though?

> This is good, added.

Cool.

>  > To coordinate with the examples, I'd place this paragraph after example
>  > VIII and shift example X up before the paragraph about floats.
>
> Could you check to see if it make sense what's in the newly updated draft?

Yep, looks good.

>  > And because we changed the rules for BFCs to not collapse with their
>  > children, I'd shift the BFC sentence down and put it with the margin
>  > collapsing clause, thus:
>  >
>  >    | A multi-column element establishes a new block formatting context,
>  >    | as per CSS 2.1 section 9.4.1. However, the top margin of the first
>  >    | element and the bottom margin of the last element collapse with
>  >    | the margins of the multi-column element as per the normal rules for
>  >    | collapsing.
>
> The first line would be a repetition. I think the text is ok as is.

A repetition of what? That sentence doesn't appear anywhere else anymore.

>  > Thanks for the great work on this draft, Håkon! I think we might be
>  > able to get this in Last Call towards the end of this year. :)
>
> Why wait? Why not send to LC now? The syntax has been stable for years
> and we have two (partial) implementations...

I'd like to see Alex's point about page-break-* addressed, I haven't reviewed
your pseudo-algorithm in detail (I remember there being some mismatches between
the prose and the pseudo-code last time I checked), and I think the whole thing
deserves another publication to gather feedback on this round of changes before
we go to LC. I generally prefer to keep the LC period short and minimize the
number of comments we can expect to receive by stabilizing the draft as much as
possible beforehand.

~fantasai