Re: [selectors-api] Selectors API I18N Review...

From: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 21:11:27 +0100
To: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Cc: 'Anne van Kesteren' <annevk@opera.com>, 'Henri Sivonen' <hsivonen@iki.fi>, public-i18n-core@w3.org, www-style@w3.org

Richard Ishida wrote:
> Hi Anne,
>
> No, this is a theoretical outcome if some browsers did start normalizing.  I don't know of any that do at the moment - though I haven't exactly scoured the whole list of UAs at this point.

Sorry to interrupt this discussion, I originally missed it because it
ended up in my spam folder for some strange reason.

I am using a Mac. On Mac, Unicode normalization gives me e' for
&eacute; while most other systems will give me é.

So if I start authoring on my Mac for instance a document and have
to use a corporate stylesheet made on a PC, both instances using
class "barré", do I take the risk of having my styles not applied ?
If the answer is yes, it's unacceptable, even the input method or
the OS is guilty. The user cannot have to worry about that and must
be provided with a workable solution. A solution that chokes on acute
e in french is not workable, even in the name of purity of the solution.

</Daniel>