Re: [CSS21] Clipping abspos elements

From: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 14:16:40 -0600
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>

On Feb 10, 2009, at 2:07 PM, fantasai wrote:

> I got a question about this bit of text in 11.1 <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visufx.html
> >:
>
>  # In certain cases, a box may overflow, meaning its content lies
>  # partly or entirely outside of the box, e.g.:
>  # ...
>  # A descendent box is positioned absolutely, partly outside the box.
>  # Such boxes are not always clipped by the overflow property on
>  # their ancestors.
>
> Can't figure out what that "Such boxes are not always clipped"
> sentence
> is talking about. An implementor was wondering if it meant abspos
> descendents are /not/ supposed to be clipped by "overflow: hidden".
> I'm quite sure that's not the case, so, perhaps we could either
> clarify
> what is meant or remove the sentence.

overflow clipping follows the containing block hierarchy.  An
unpositioned element with overflow:hidden that has an absolutely
positioned child will not clip that child.  However a relative
positioned element with overflow:hidden that has an absolutely
positioned child would clip that child, since it is the containing
block for the child.

dave
(hyatt@apple.com)