Re: [CSS21][css3-namespace][css3-page][css3-selectors][css3-content] Unicode Normalization

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 11:13:07 -0500
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: public-i18n-core@w3.org, www-style@w3.org

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> 3. How likely is that XML will change to require doing NFC normalization
> on input? Currently XML does reference Unicode Normalization
> normatively, but it does only do so from a non-normative section on
> guidelines for designing XML names. If XML does not change it does not
> make a whole lot of sense to change e.g. CSS selector matching because
> that would mean some XML element names that are not in NFC could no
> longer be selected.

It seems to me that the normalization proposal would involve normalizing
both strings before matching, so they could still be matched.

> The last one is quite important. If Unicode Normalization is so
> important it has to happen everywhere, otherwise the platform becomes
> inconsistent.

Right.

One question I have is whether this issue would be resolved if a UA
performed parse-time normalization on everything (JS, CSS, XML, HTML).
That wouldn't completely help JS because you can build up strings
codepoint-by-codepoint but that also lets you create invalid UTF-16
strings, so I'm not sure it's worth worrying about right now.

If the above parse-time normalization would not solve the issue, can
someone explain to me why or point me to the relevant resources that
would explain why?

-Boris