Re: [CSS21][css3-namespace][css3-page][css3-selectors][css3-content] Unicode Normalization

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 03:17:04 +0100, Andrew Cunningham
<andrewc@vicnet.net.au> wrote:
> but developers have to type code, sometimes more than one developer needs
> to work on the code. And if they are using different input tolls, and
> those tools are generating different codepoints, when  identical
> codepoints are required ... then there is a problem.

I can definitely see that problems might arise. And I can also see that
putting complexity on the user agent side is better than putting it on the
developer side. However, there are several things to take into
consideration here.

1. How many developers are actually facing this problem? We know that
theoretically there is an issue here, but I do not believe research has
shown that this is a problem in practice. E.g. as I understand things this
could occur with the character ë, but has it?

2. What is the performance impact on processing? That is, is the impact so
neglicable that browser vendors can add it? (FWIW, we care about
microseconds.)

3. How likely is that XML will change to require doing NFC normalization
on input? Currently XML does reference Unicode Normalization normatively,
but it does only do so from a non-normative section on guidelines for
designing XML names. If XML does not change it does not make a whole lot
of sense to change e.g. CSS selector matching because that would mean some
XML element names that are not in NFC could no longer be selected.

The last one is quite important. If Unicode Normalization is so important
it has to happen everywhere, otherwise the platform becomes inconsistent.
This means XML will have to change, HTML will have to change, CSS will
have change, DOM APIs will have to change, etc. That's a lot of tedious
work with great potential for bugs and performance issues. Without very
clear evidence that such a major overhaul is needed, I doubt you'll
convince many vendors.

I can see how this task might be difficult given that most vendors (and
all that matter for most of the Web) are Western, things seem to work fine
today, and changing this has a high cost, but I like to think that
research can convince us.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>