Re: [CSS21][css3-namespace][css3-page][css3-selectors][css3-content] Unicode Normalization

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 12:50:56 +0100
To: "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: public-i18n-core@w3.org, www-style@w3.org

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 17:13:07 +0100, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> One question I have is whether this issue would be resolved if a UA
> performed parse-time normalization on everything (JS, CSS, XML, HTML).
> That wouldn't completely help JS because you can build up strings
> codepoint-by-codepoint but that also lets you create invalid UTF-16
> strings, so I'm not sure it's worth worrying about right now.

HTML & XML character references and CSS character escapes would also allow
for the same character to be represented in different forms as far as I
can tell. (Though not quite as extreme as in JS, still basically the same
"issue".) Leaving that alone and only doing this parse-time seems fine
though. However, in my opinion it has not really been justified that it is
necessary in the first place.

(And then there's the bits Martin pointed out.)

Anne van Kesteren