Re: Feature queries

Daniel Glazman wrote:
> Le 09/12/09 08:48, fantasai a écrit :
>> bz asked me to post a proposal on feature queries: syntax for allowing
>> authors to apply CSS rules based on whether a particular CSS feature
>> is supported.
>
> I suggested this years ago, blogged about it recently, and even
> implemented it in Gecko.
>
> see http://is.gd/5fKFV (read it first)
> and http://is.gd/5fKGY
>
> So I'm entirely in favor of it.

And I'm entirely against. :-)

1) No nesting! Unless we first provide an alternative style sheet
language that is easier to use, we cannot turn CSS into a programming
language. CSS is essential for the semantic Web; reducing CSS usage
without providing an alternative means abandoning the semantic Web.

2) We aren't worth our name as standards organization if we can't make a
standard that is actually implemented. We're not doing designers a favor
by recommending that UAs implement a little bit here and another bit there.

I know we're having a lot of difficulty publishing the snapshot of
interoperable CSS that we promised two years ago, but I'm not fatalist
enough to declare that therefore lack of interoperability is the new
interoperability.

Bert