Re: Feature queries

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 01:45:28 -0800
To: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
CC: www-style@w3.org
On 12/10/09 1:33 AM, Bert Bos wrote:
> 2) We aren't worth our name as standards organization if we can't make a
> standard that is actually implemented.

I think part of the issue is that authors are trying to use things that
are not in REC yet (e.g. CSS3 features that are in CR or even earlier,
with vendor prefixes).  We do want to enable authors to use these
without their sites falling apart in the process; that's the only way to
gather implementation experience.  That's the main reason for coming to
support having feature-detection on my part...

> We're not doing designers a favor
> by recommending that UAs implement a little bit here and another bit there.

I don't believe anyone is recommending that.

I do believe that if we plan to keep introducing features we need
something like this.  If we have no such plans, of course, then we
probably don't...

-Boris