Re: Projection media type in fullscreen browser mode

From: Rijk van Geijtenbeek <rijk@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 17:56:13 +0200
To: "WWW Style" <www-style@w3.org>
Op Wed, 19 Aug 2009 17:24:08 +0200 schreef Giuseppe Bilotta

> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Rijk van Geijtenbeek<rijk@opera.com>
> wrote:
>> Op Tue, 18 Aug 2009 22:55:39 +0200 schreef Aryeh Gregor
>> <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>:
>>> (Do older versions of Opera not use screen stylesheets at all in
>>> full-screen mode?  Some of the discussions I've found suggest that.
>>> That would explain how (1) came about in the first place.)
>> Yes. Up until Opera 8.54, going full screen meant losing the 'screen'
>> media styling in Opera. So Opera-conscious developers would have used
>> either no media, or 'all', or 'screen,projection'. Since 9.0, that is
>> not happening anymore, and Opera treats full screen as 'screen' when no
>> 'projection' styles are used.
> Would it be possible (and does it make sense) to use both screen and
> projection in this case?

What case?

> (With projection entries taking precedence
> over screen, of course)?

The spec says that media types are mutually exclusive:

"Media types are mutually exclusive in the sense that a user agent can
only support one media type when rendering a document."

I don't think it is feasible to change that. You can use
media="screen,projection" for a stylesheet with general styles, once you
start catering for the projection case. Or just leave it at 'all' or not
specified, for the stylesheet with general styles.

                                                      Rijk van Geijtenbeek
                                    Opera Software ASA, Documentation & QA
                                     Tweak: http://my.opera.com/Rijk/blog/

"The most common way to get usability wrong is to listen to what users
say rather than actually watching what they do." - J.Nielsen